Saturday, March 11, 2017

Savona's on the Kingston Waterfront

Savona's Trattoria


Glenn: 4 Krabby Patties

I love going to special places. You can't really articulate exactly what it is about a special place - but you know it when you're there. I've been lucky to have traveled a good bit in my life - and I can rattle off a bunch of places that qualify for me. Portsmouth, NH, Catalina Island, Katahdin, the lighthouse at Jupiter, FL - these are just a few of the places in my life that qualify.

If you haven't yet been to the waterfront in Kingston, NY, you should make a point to visit. It's a special place. And it emerges kind of out of nowhere on your drive from New Paltz - which brings you up the thruway and down beat-up Broadway in Kingston. It emerges like an oasis in the dessert. 

Lined with shops and restaurants along a historical spit of the Hudson River, the waterfront in Kingston is a special place.

Megan had gone to Savona's for her friend Alex's birthday - and she wanted to go back - Savona's on the waterfront in Kingston was the call!

Being all 16 and stuff, Megan grabbed the keys to the car and I hopped in - she drove (very competently) all the way - and we parked and entered Savona's - which sits one block from the mighty Hudson River. 

The ambience was pretty much perfect. From the warm greeting of the hostess to the cozy table next to the window, this place was clearly a class-act.

My martini, with Tito's, was pretty much perfect. And the food was definitely better than average. 

I ordered veal francese with spinach on the side. The francese was definitely done right. I have to say, I cook chicken francese pretty regularly - and so, of course, I found myself comparing. And I wish I could say that this meal topped what I would have made at home - but hey, it was definitely good and the sauce was pretty much perfect.

When the waiter brought the spinach, I shifted into high-maintenance gear! The spinach was peppered with garlic clove slices. I can't blame Savona's - they are an Italian restaurant, after all - but I sort of have a garlic sensitivity - I really can't eat it! So I called back the waiter to reveal this slightly embarrassing personal detail - and I have to say, he handled this perfectly. He first said, "no problem" and then immediately took it back to the kitchen. Within five minutes, a freshly cooked batch was made and delivered - and it was fantastic. If you work in the restaurant industry, take note - this is how to deal with a send-back. Effectively and with a smile.

Overall, Megan and I had a great night at Savona's - a special night in one of those special places. Yes, I'd go back again!

Megan: 4.5 Krabby Patties

Well I think the restaurant is in a really cute location in Kingston near the river. And I really like the lights and the energy of the restaurant. I ordered lemonade - a classic beverage choice. But I ended up being EXTREMELY disappointed by the outcome. It was so sour, I couldn't even put it in my mouth. It burned!

So I just drank my water, swallowed my pride, and moved on ...

Next up was the salad, which I ordered Italian dressing on - which I almost never get. And I was pleasantly surprised by how well the dressing went with the salad. I, being a huge fan of salad, was very impressed.

Then FINALLY, after a long time of waiting, my chicken francese arrived! Chicken francese with pasta is my absolute favorite food. So if it is not done right, I will know! But THIS francese was one of the best I ever had. It was tender, juicy, not crispy at all, and the sauce was a perfect blend of butter, lemon, garlic, and white wine. Additionally, the type of pasta - instead of DISGUSTING spaghetti, which most restaurants would have chosen, was penne - my favorite. The sauce worked beautifully on the pasta as well as on the chicken. And I couldn't have been more pleased with the meal.  

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment